Friday, April 24, 2015

Finished Project Friday

I know the blog has been collecting a little dust lately.  Sorry for that.  I did notice, however, that it has been getting quite a large number of views!  Yay for Scrap Stash Studio!  But no comments...so if you read, respond.  Let me know who you are and what got you here.  A LOT has changed since my last post.  First of all, I am happy to announce that my family is growing.  The Strauss house will be one boy busier in July.  Patten Turner Strauss will be baby number 2 for the Strauss family!  Yay for children.  I am truly thankful to be blessed with the gift of motherhood and look forward to all that is to come with my house full of boys.  :)
That being said, the studio has been on the back burner lately.  This is due, in part, to the frigid temperatures and lack of sufficient heat in that old brick building lovingly known as Scrap Stash Studio.  But the sun has come out and soon I will sling open those doors and welcome in Scrappy Crafters. 
I am also so excited to announce that I will have new friends joining me in the building.  Andrea Smith is amazing.  She has an organization called Operation Santa that she has been going strong running for quite a number of years.  She collects items throughout the year to give to less-fortunate children at Christmas.  Her operation has outgrown her house and she needed a donation station.  So she will be collecting items throughout the year to prepare for the holidays.  Along with that, she will also be running a thrift store of sorts to help offset rent costs and raise money for purchases at the holidays.  So donate away my friends!  You can donate any type of item you wish.  She will also hold frequent yard sales at the "Studio/Op-drop."  I will post updates as they come available.  I believe her first yard sale will be the first Saturday in May.
I have a few craft class/party ideas floating in my head and will soon get them on the calendar. 
1.  T-shirt scrap rag rugs- $10...rag base and t-shirt scraps provided but you are welcome to bring your own shirts too.

2. Custom Planners from books...I have done this class before but would like to try it again.  I made one out of the children's book Peter Pan and have used it all school year.  The class will be $10.  Cost includes needed supplies and binding rings.  Bring your own book or purchase one for just a little extra from my collection.

3. Etsy Craft Party-this project is a mystery to me.  I believe it is some sort of paper-crafting.  Etsy will send me info on what this project entails and educate me on how to educate you.  Tentative date will be June 5th or 6th.  More details to come.  Price, date, and time are to be determined.
4. Sewing Party-$5 for studio usage.  I plan on this just being a hang out for my sewing friends and wannabe sewing friends.  I am new to the sewing world...self-taught.  This is something I am proud of but also would love to learn from my veteran stitching friends.  Bring your machines or needles or come empty-handed and we can share materials and knowledge.  We could even do a fabric swap and exchange scraps.  I think this would be super fun and I would love to pick your brains.  Varner, Turner, Kim, and Ms. Mary...you all come to mind.  So be there or be square!  :)
Please let me know your level of interest in these projects.  Heck, even throw out some dates that you think may work well for you and I will try to make them happen.  My life is sort of in plan as I go mode at the moment so I will let you know as things materialize.  As always, suggestions are welcome for future class ideas.
I am also Thankful for the orders that have been piling up.  My sewing machine and crochet hooks have stayed busy lately.  In the past month, I have:
*...Crocheted an afghan for baby Patten.

*...Completed a quilt for a dear family member who has a little one on the way.

*...Crocheted 3 mermaid tail blankets.  They all turned out super cute.  You can order one if you would like.  Adult size $60, Child size $50, Toddler size $40, and Baby size $30. 

*...Completed 2 t-shirt quilts. One quilt was for one of my best friends from high-school's little sister.  It was a lot of shirts...the biggest quilt I have ever made.  All of the shirts were from events and teams from my hometown so quilting it brought back a lot of memories. 


One quilt is a surprise that has not yet been revealed to its future owner so I will have to show it off later.
*...Cut all the squares out for my 3 upcoming quilts.  One quilt is for one of my dear friends who is getting married next weekend and her hubby-to-be.  The fabric combination is even prettier than the inspiration photo that she sent me:

(This is the inspiration photo...not her quilt.)  Hers is going to be even cooler!  I can't wait to get started on it.  The other 2 quilts are for twins!  How cool is that?  A former student of mine has one-year-old twins, a boy and a girl.  What makes this project even cooler is that I am using all of the onezies from their first holidays...first New Years, first Valentines, first Easter, first Halloween, first Thanksgiving, first Christmas.  They are going to be coordinating quilts.  Eeeek!


*...Made my first overseas purchase of fabric for a special baby quilt.  Who knew it would be hard to track down cotton fabric with teddy bears on it?  I never would have thought.  But my package should be arriving in the next few days.  I can't wait to see it!

No comments :

Post a Comment